It’s no secret that eyebrows are the latest craze. From big and bold, to full and fabulous. everyone is hopping on the trend. There is only one problem… the overly thin brow trend from the 90s has come back to haunt us full force. No need to freak, to every problem, there is a solution. Not everyone’s face can hold a big and bold brow, and lets be honest, you should walk in the room before your brows do. So lets talk about some factors that may have contributed to the thinning of your brows. First and foremost, lets begin with the obvious, OVERTWEEZING. At some point or another we have all gotten a little too tweezer happy, or had an “oopsie”, while in front of the mirror. Some other factors contributing to brow loss include, stress, alopecia, trichotillomania, prolonged use of medications, sleeping heavily on your sides/stomach, and/or age. While some of these factors may have been out of your control, that does not mean we don’t have options to achieve a fuller brow.
Growing out your eyebrows is a long process. You’re forced to put the tweezers down, and allow hair to grow in areas that you may think it “doesn’t belong”. The next 4 tips can help you speed up the growing process of your brows, in a healthy way.
- A very important key to growing out your brows, is to remember that every hair counts. Leave it to the professionals to decide which hairs to remove. This means do not use a magnifying mirror to search for those tiny hairs, you think should be removed. Also trimming your own eyebrows is never a great idea. If done incorrectly (which is very easy to do), gaps and sparse appearing areas can be created. Think of a comb over on someone who is balding, the longer hair masks the areas in which the person does not have hair. This is the same case for eyebrows. Longer brow hairs can cover areas that are sparse, and if trimmed too short…well now you have a bald spot.
- More often than not, you have more brow hair than you actually think. Whether these hairs are lighter in color, or have turned grey over the years, they may appear washed out. A quick and easy fix to this is to tint your eyebrows using a vegetable based dye. Ranging from light brown, to dark charcoal, tinting your eyebrows can help define those lighter hairs. Who knew achieving a fuller brow in 5 minutes could be so easy!
- Sometimes your brows need a little boost in the growing out process. Serums (not latisse), can be applied to stimulate the follicle to grow. At Occhi’ we have a growth serum composed of keratin and caffeine. The caffeine stimulates the follicle to grow, while the keratin strengthens the new, and existing brow hair. The best time to apply this serum, is after you have exfoliated your skin, and the pores are open. This allows the product to penetrate in those stubborn areas. While the serum is definitely beneficial to the growth of your brows, we may also recommend a biotin based supplement, to help you achieve those new sprouts of hair. At Occhi’ our lash support is a Vitamin B complex that is composed of biotin, horsetail plant extract, and other great minerals. This complex is good because it comprises a few key vitamins and nutrients into one pill to help achieve growth. The word biotin is derived from the ancient Greek word “biotos”. Did you know that “biotos” means life or sustenance? So why wouldn’t you want to give those tiny brow hairs the breath of life? 😉
- While growing out your eyebrows may seem like a long and stubborn process, it is well worth it. Have you ever heard the term, “fake it until you make it”? While growing out your brows, that’s exactly what you should do. Use a natural colored brow powder to give the illusion of a fuller brow. If you’re having trouble creating a shape you like, use brow stencils to help guide you. A lightweight powder is ideal while growing out your brows, because some of the pomades or thick products, can actually reverse the work you’ve put into letting them grow out. Heavy products will clog your pores and not allow your brows to grow.
If you have tried these 4 steps and are still not getting the results desired, we have other options.
- The first option is brow powders, or semi permanent makeup pens (Magic Stylo) to create a fuller brow daily. Although this would need to be done each day, it is a more temporary solution.
- The next option is to add eyebrow extensions to create a fuller brow. Brow extensions can last 4-14 days, and are a temporary solution to achieving that shape you have always desired.
- If you’re looking for a long lasting solution, microblading/permanent makeup would be another option. Permanent makeup techniques and pigments have come a long way over the years, making this option increasingly popular. Microblading allows the client to have a shape they have always desired, and they do not have to worry about it smudging off each day.
So there you have it, beautiful brows to match the beautiful life we live in!